I. TOPICS FOR SOCIAL SKILLS NEEDED PRIOR TO DATING
- Where to meet others for friendships and dating relationships
- How to behave at social events
- How to begin and continue a conversation at social events
- Personal hygiene needed for dating relationships
- How to make contact with someone new so you can follow up
- How to ask someone for a date
II. TOPICS FOR SKILLS NEEDED DURING A DATE
- How to decide what to do and where to go on a date
- What to talk about on a date
- Transportation needed by each of the people on the date
- Who will pay for the expenses, e.g. meal at a restaurant, movie tickets, concert tickets, transportation, etc.
- Can the couple go on a date without parents with them - issues to consider: e.g. can you travel by public transportation independently, what if you get lost, can you independently order a meal in a restaurant, are there medical issues that
need to be considered, e.g. do you takes medications, do you have a seizure disorder?
- How to end the first date, e.g. thanking the person, telling them that you would like a second date (if that's true), suggestions for future dates.
III. TOPICS FOR CONTINUING A DATING RELATIONSHIP
- Communicating with the person in between dates, e.g. phone calls, text messages, face time, emails - and the frequency of these contacts
- How to clarify your goals for the dating relationship, and clarification of your parents' goals
- Identifying your expectations and comfort level with physical intimacy and your partner's expectations and comfort level. This includes sitting close, holding hands, touching, kissing, sexual intimacy
- What are your fears and concerns about this new relationship?
- How to deal with rejection